The Center for Media and Interactivity (ZMI) offered the Giessen award for scholarly presentation and lecture performance for the second time in 2011, the International Year of Chemistry. Researchers/academics from any discipline and lecture performers were invited to apply and participate in the competition. On September 17, 2011, a jury consisting of distinguished representatives of the fields of science and art determined the award winners in the public finals. Inspired by the history of Justus Liebig University, in the International Year of Chemistry 2011, Performing Science was about new forms of experimental lecturing. The competition was under the direction of Prof. Heiner Goebbels, Prof. Dr. Henning Lobin, Dr. Sibylle Peters and Sabine Heymann.
... in 2007
The Performing Science Award 2007 was established on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of Justus Liebig University. The finals of the first interdisciplinary Performing Science Award competition took place on October 26-27, 2007. The prize, unique in Germany, was awarded in the two categories “Scholarly Presentation” and “Lecture Performance” and was aimed at scholars as well as artists. The award winners represented a range of different disciplines and included a variety of media and dramatic elements in their presentations.
... in 2011
Performing Science 2011 honored innovative forms of knowledge presentation of any academic discipline. In this context, evaluation was not only based on scholarly elocution but also on research-oriented lecture performance or virtuoso media use. In the International Year of Chemistry, it was not simply the traditional experimental lecture which was of interest here, but first and foremost the following types of presentation:
- scholarly and artistic presentations that visualize research processes
- presentations that incorporate new experimental procedures, e.g. simulations
- presentations in which content and form enter an experimental relationship which allows the audience to actually participate in the presented research
- presentations that take an experimental and artistic approach to using media and traditional forms of knowledge presentation
Performing Science on DVD
Both events are documented in the form of DVD box sets, which can be ordered at the ZMI for 19,80 EUR each (plus delivery charges). Orders may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Website Performing Science Award 2011
- Website Performing Science Award 2007
- Photo Gallery of Performing Science 2007